Over 9 – 12 months, the YANDiSA curriculum includes:
- Training of learner leaders (RCLs) and Educators – RCL representatives (Grade 8-11) and educators from selected schools are equipped with leadership, entrepreneurial skills, social action tools.
- YANDISA School Workshops – Training & Support Workshops at each selected School (this is for all members of the RCL), 2 Hour Sessions held fortnightly (every 2 weeks) focused on building leadership and other social and emotional skills, and support SAP Implementation success.
- School Action Project (SAP) Implementation –RCLs are tasked with implementing a School Action Project to address critical gaps that they can have an impact on. The School Action Projects are designed by the RCLs with consultation and input from each school’s Management Team (SMT) and School Governing Body (SGB).
- Engagement with school performance data – with support from New Leadership Foundation and the Data Driven Dashboard, learners and program facilitators engage with the data to identify what to improve.
- Celebration Showcase –a celebratory event that recognises the School Action Projects and their impact
In the long term YANDiSA aims to achieve:
- Education Improvement: YANDiSA turns learners into problem solvers, involving them as the key change agents of their own academic journey.
- Potential as a preventative solution for high rates of youth NEETs: YANDiSA is based on the hypothesis that leadership training enables youth to identify and access opportunities. We encourage youth to think of their own post school development in order to avoid them falling in the ranks of those not in education employment or training (NEET).
- Building Civic Engagement & Leadership Mastery: We are a catalyst who encourages youth to engage directly with institutions and authority to bring change.